Thursday, August 26, 2010

WHAT TO KNOW ABOUT ETCHING

If you are considering learning to etch your own pieces, here are a few things I've learned (the hard way) in the past couple of weeks.

1. When cutting and sanding your own metals wear a mask and do it in a well ventilated area.  This stuff is really terrible to breathe and goes all over the place.
2.  Make sure when you stamp or draw on your plate you use permanent ink pen or ink pad.  If not all your ink will go into the liquid and you'll end up with no design.
3.  The stuff really stinks so make sure you're done before hubby gets home and starts complaining about the smell.  Just kidding!  But seriously it stinks and it's strong.
4.  VERY IMPORTANT!!! Wear gloves, don't let this stuff any where near any part of a steel sink you care about, including the little steel ring in the center of the drain.  If you do, it will be etched.  Not pretty!
5.  I found I couldn't use the stuff twice so use only what you need to cover the pieces.  I think it's because all of the ink that ends up left over.  No sure.
6.  I've read of two different ways to stop the etching effect.  Submerge the pieces in a 50/50 ratio of ammonia (very strong smell) and water and the other is to rub with baking soda.  I picked the second choice.
7.  To discard solution pour baking soda into left over etchant and when it stops bubbling mop it up with an old rag or paper towels and wrap in a plastic bag.

These are all different steps I've read in books, have researched and my own personal experience.  If you'd like to try it, do some research of your own and please be careful with these chemicals.  Use them safely and follow their instructions.

Now to show you some pieces I just made.



These earrings can be found in my Etsy store here gentlewinddesigns.

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment